Whilst Coster is actively pursuing the development of an all-plastic pump (project name: “green pump”), it developed in parallel an alternative pump concept, Spring Off.
The idea behind Spring Off is to maintain the metal spring, keeping the element which is most difficult to substitute, and allow the consumer an easy removal of the spring, making the pump a homogeneous assembly
How it works
Pump in standard operation; lock-up closing; aesthetically equivalent to today’s solutions.
When product is empty, consumer needs to pull the “flap”
By unfastening the flap, the actuator can be removed.
After removal of actuator the spring is clearly visible.
Removal of spring.
Spring is disposed in metal waste stream.
Bottle + pump + actuator are disposed in plastic waste.
- Innovative concept involving final consumer
- No new pump development as it is based on well known SCP pump engine
- Solution is known to work
- Performance parity
- 4 new plastic components (body, actuator, stem, flap); other components are the same of SCP pump
- Faster time to market to develop vs brand new all plastic pump solution
- Possibility to partially re-utilize existing production equipment
- Cost efficient as cost of materials is close to today’s solutions
- Safety: the “Flap” doesn’t separate from the actuator (child resistant)
- Actuator with dual colours possibility (two different moulds)